Blog #2

As a student I have very limited experience using MS Word. Throughout all of my middle and high school experience my teachers made me use google applications such a google docs. Last semester was my first time using MS Word and took me sometime to figure out. I’m still discovering new tools as I explore the software. If I had to choose between the two, I would prefer google docs because I’m very comfortable with it.

This is my first time hearing about ISTE Standards for educators. After reading over and understanding the standards, the learning standard is most meaningful to me. This standard focuses on continuously learning about technology and how it can beneficially impact student learning. This can be done by setting goals, participating in global learning networks, and doing research that improve student learning outcomes. This is important for K-12 educators because it's really important to spread knowledge on technology, especially in today's day and age.

A digital native is defined as a young person and their relationship with technology. I agree with the label for today's youth because there is definitely a division between how younger (digital natives) and older people (digital immigrants) use technology. Younger people are more fluent with technology while older people seem to have more trouble navigating it. An example of this is during school I've witnessed a teacher struggling with technology and needing a student to help. I think because I grew up with technology I wont have many of these problems. Overall, as technology is advancing, I think there will be more technology involved in the classroom. I think this is important because technology now plays a huge role in everyone's lives.



Comments

  1. Hi Julie, I loved reading your blog! It is interesting for me to hear that your teachers in middle school and high school utilized Google Docs rather than Microsoft Word. My experience was actually the opposite as my teachers utilized Microsoft Word predominately. For me, I have little experience utilizing Google Docs. However, like you mentioned, I am also still discovering new tools as I explore the software.

    Similar to you, prior to this course, I had never heard of the ISTE Standards for Educators. Something stood out to me about your blog is that I also choose the learning standard! I completely agree with you on the fact that we are continuously learning about technology and how we can utilize its benefits to aid student learning. I love how you took a technological approach on the learning standard as I thought of this standard in terms of how everyday, whether you are a teacher or a student, we are constantly learning. It is interesting to see how you view the standard versus how I view it. Although I had not considered your perspective when I was initially wrote about my blog, I now have this added perspective to the way I view the learning standard.

    I love the example you provided about your experience in a classroom with a teacher, who would be considered a digital immigrant, needed a students help with the technology. I think this is something we can all relate to in terms of experience because at some point in our academic careers, we have witnessed this first hand. With technology advancing, I definitely see technology being involved more heavily in classrooms. Like you mentioned, technology plays a huge role in everyone day to day lives.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #8

Blog #5

Blog #4